Monday, February 6, 2012

Suicide and Humor

While reading Act IV of Pygmalion again, I remember why this story makes me feel so uncomfortable. The original acts of violence are humerous and light-hearted. Nothing seems particularly malicious about anyone's actions; yet, here I am again in Act IV and feeling completly different. Why the sudden change?

I think I have it figured out. It's all this talk of suicide. Because Eliza is truly frightened, she threatens suicide, and at first - this is all this is - a threat; however, the second time she threatens suicide is with Freddy. Someone who she has (supposedly) confidence with. Since Eliza threatens suicide and actually means it, can I truly find this play still funny?

Bunny Suicides and Happy Tree Friends are cartoonish figures who commit suicide, and often times we laugh. South Park has often poked fun at suicide, and murdering Kenny is still hysterical after 10+ years. I am all for hysterical acts of violence. But Eliza is different, her suicide threatening is far more real. She's a three dimensional character who I can relate to. She's neither cartoonish nor unrealistic. Because she feels displaced in society, she truly thinks about suicide. As a result, I think the story has crossed the humerous line and entered into some tragic and sadistic.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. The more I think about the play, the more I realize that the humor is a cover for the tragic struggle of Eliza. Though I want to concentrate on the Higgins's humor, his lack of character development makes it hard to focus on his ideas and actions.

    Eliza is different. She is portrayed as this innocent, poor flower girl trying to make a living because her father is a drunk. She believes that the way to success is through the education of Higgins, but she struggle to embrace Higgins's insults. This provokes a tragedy, not a comedy.Thus, the humor is gone, and sadness becomes the dominate feeling throughout the play. Though I still find the play terribly funny, and quite comical, when looking at the play closely, I see the underling darkness that hides within Shaw's writtings.

    ReplyDelete