Friday, April 20, 2012

A Good Change After Weird Existentialism


When I learned that Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis was a graphic novel, I was not sure if I would like it. I never read a graphic novel before; I used to read the comics in newspapers every once in a while. However, when I started reading over Spring Break, I enjoyed the book! I love Satrapi’s story and her humor. It is touching, but also melancholic.  Satrapi reveals facts about the Iranian culture and government that I previously did not know. We do not seem to learn much about Iran; current news only tells us that there is a possibility of war with Israel. I like Persepolis because it strays from the stereotype that all Iranians are radical or crazy in the midst of a harsh Islamic regime. Marji and her family are not like that at all. They are modern, against the veil, and are influenced by European and American culture. I also like that Marji's father is not the stereotype of a possessive and dominating Muslim. Marji’s mother is very independent, and she speaks what is on her mind. That leads to me appreciating Marji’s character as well. She takes after her parents’ personalities, and she is comical when she rebels against the Fundamentalist women at school. When I read this book, I feel the emotions that Satrapi is trying to convey. I laugh when she wants us to, and I feel sad when she shows something that is awful. Her departure to Austria made me want to cry, and I laughed when she tried to communicate with her German roommate. When I learn about a scary, radical government, and find the humor, fear, and sadness of the characters, I can't deny that the book is truly great. I also know that I love a book if I'm reading past the given homework. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the class is having such a positive reaction to Persepolis. I really do find it to be such an appealing group. And while it speaks to me, I think it really speaks to your age group as you guys are prepping for College. While it's a flawed book in many ways, I feel Persepolis is an outstanding way to show the power of the graphic novel. It really is a remarkable achievement, although I cannot imagine reading the first one and then having to way to read the second one, that would just destroy me as a reader. I'm glad it's now available as the complete set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I absolutely loved Absurdism/Existentialism, I have to agree that I love the shift to graphic novel. I too am new to the genre, and I appreciate how graphic novels utilize visual contrast to stimulate an experience unparallel to that of conventional books. I feel so much more focused and involved while reading Persepolis. It’s like I care more. I sympathize with Marji and her family – their transgressions and their sacrifices. To see Marji’s growth from prophet to rebellious young adult is amusing in itself; through animation, this is just gorgeous. And to Mr. V., I second your notion. Moreover, I would like to thank you. This year you have exposed us to literature that pushed our understandings and comfort levels. Persepolis is more than that. It not only speaks to me, but it presents me with a quintessential truth. I watched Marji grow and thrive in a manner somewhat similar to me. But her childhood was filled with mortars instead of balloons. She witnessed political strife instead of Sesame Street. Persepolis shows Marji’s struggle to gain normalcy, to preserve her humanity. This is why Persepolis works – it shows that stereotypes are wrong and even a girl from war torn Iran is no less human than the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete