Sunday, April 29, 2012

Horrible Childhood or Culturally developed? Both, please!

I'm not exactly sure whether the point of Persepolis was to sympathize with Marji and her horrible childhood, but I feel the exact opposite. Obviously, you cannot deny that growing up in the center of war in Iran would bring about issues... but I think that her childhood was really interesting and intellectually stimulating. It's horrible that Marji and her family were in constant fear with imprisonment and death, yet i feel that because of her childhood, she has become a more culturally developed woman. When she moved to Austria, it was interesting to see a different perspective of the story because it is so dissimilar from Iran (according to this book anyway). Throughout the book, I had been honestly comparing Marjane's life to mine at different points in time, and it is safe to say that my life is not as interesting (and probably never will be) compared to Marji's.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Ally. In a way I envy Marji. Yes she did have a difficult life, but I think it is impressive for a person to have grown up during a war. I felt that even though she led a troublesome childhood she still had loving and compassionate parents. Her parents were excellent role models that inspired Marji’s political standpoint and taught her the importance of strength and courage; I do not think I could say the same for my parents. She had an admiral relationship with God as well, something that many people do not have.

    One thing that I admire about Marji is her sense of rebellion. I wish I could rebel against the oppression of society. I especially love the fact that she, at a young age, made up her mind in what she believed was right, when most of us struggle with making similar decisions. I am jealous of the fact she matured and attained wisdom at such a young age. Also, one only dreams of going through many of her amusing life experiences. She grew up during a war, her uncle is a hero, and she managed to survive dangerous experiences. Also, I love her adventures of leaving her parents and living in many homes and apartments, and I admire her eventful college years. I feel her life in this graphic novel was exciting. Maybe in reality it was not as interesting.

    ReplyDelete