Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lolita: the Lost Child


Listening to the discussions in class I can see that many people no longer view Lolita as innocent. To me her innocence has still not left her. I understand that yes, she has had sexual experiences but I do not think she really understands what she is doing. She grew up with a mother who never really wanted anything to do with her and her father died when she was young. I see Lolita as a child who is crying out for attention. In camp when Charlie gave her affection she felt needed and loved. Lolita sees that Humbert Humbert, unlike her mother, wants her to be around and to talk to her. I think Lolita has adopted this idea that if she gives Humbert what he craves he will continue to love and want her. Lolita is fully aware that Humbert is not her real father so technically it is not incest. When Lolita teases Humbert she is looking for a reaction.
In the car the first day Humbert picked Lolita up from camp she told Humbert that they were lovers. I think that Lolita was trying to see if Humbert truly loved her. Lolita craves the love she was deprived from her mother. Unfortunately, because Lo has never been loved she does not know that love does not have to be physical. Lolita is a confused child who does not understand what she is doing. Lolita simply wants to be cared for and not that her mother is dead all she really has is Humbert Humbert.
I feel bad for Lolita.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, I think that she is determined to recieve some kind of love and security from Humbert, whether it be sexual or emotional. As creepy as this sounds, I think she kind of sees him as a father figure, but since it really isn't incest, she also enjoys being physical with Humbert. He fulfills two roles: the caretaker and lover. Which really should not be fulfilled by one person, and leads to disaster as seen in the rest of the novel.

    ReplyDelete