Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Real Villain


Now that I’ve read the whole book of Lolita I can tell you that I still do not feel anything for Humbert Humbert. Mr. V feels bad for HH and so does Charlotte but I still do not see it. He is a pedophile. I do not see the love that HH speaks about. Yes, he still thinks about Lolita often but after she was kidnapped he quickly gave up the search and began to prey on Rita. If Lolita did not contact HH I’m sure that he would have forgotten about her. I do not feel bad for HH. He set himself up for disaster since the beginning. I cannot feel bad for a man who takes advantage of an innocent woman in order to get to her daughter. I cannot feel bad for a man who assaults his step-daughter. Call me heartless but whatever happens to HH is what he deserves. I cannot fathom how to justify a person who assaults children.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, Brielle. I feel no sympathy for Humbert Humbert and his disturbing actions. If anything, the only bit of sadness I can feel for him is the fact that he was obviously a disturbed child. His sexual relations at such a young age were actually a bit odd. Then, he unfortunately lost his so-called love Annabel. I’m not even sure if he ever loved her either because that relationship seemed like it was all about the physical romance. Now, Humbert Humbert grows up to be traumatized by the loss of his “love” and can only love little girls. The truth is that HH is a pedophile, and there’s no curing his condition. What he did to Lolita was wrong. He probably traumatized her too! HH is selfish for trying to keep Lolita all to himself, and he’s plain disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the both of you. I just can't see how one could consider HH's physical obsession to be love. He obviously has an attraction to young girls, so any older women that show interest in him don't really phase him much. Notice how the only two young girls to show an interest back are considered his "loves." Other than Lolita and Annabel Lee, his only experiences with young girls were with paid prostitutes who clearly don't have a real interest in HH. He is just an old pedophile who "falls in love" with whomever he can get.

    ReplyDelete