Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Two Languages: One Romantic Story


As I began reading Lolita, I could not read through a full page without getting stuck – multiply times - by the French phrases that Vladimir Nabokov would randomly place through out the chapters. I believe I spent more time trying to translate and understand the French phrases, than I actually spent on reading the English words. I had to re-read the sections various times to get a nice continuous flow that made the piece enjoyable and logical.

Am I the only one who finds this French a bother?

But this made me think about the French. What is the reason that Nabokov would place the random pieces of French into his piece? Is it because the English translation loses some of the sensual and emotions of the French language?

I know Nabokov said he chose to write the piece in English because our language has a way with irony. But I feel the French language presents more of a romantic feel. Just the sound of the word “mister” sounds fancier in French. The French gives the scenes a romantic feel that I believe will carry into the love scenes between Humbert and Lolita. But either way, I am still caught up on two languages being used often and interchangeable throughout the piece.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Nabokov used French in his book to show his intelligence. I saw it as a way to make a wall between the Americans in the story and him. The French language was to reveal his knowledge of language and how swiftly he uses it. Then again your theory about romanticizing his sentences sounds right to me too. French is one of the languages of love. Maybe the French is there to show Humbert Humbert’s affection towards Lolita.

    I also find the French in the book to be quite bothersome. When we first started reading the book I decoded everything, and I’ll be honest I found none of the words to be significant. Humbert usually says something after the French and it helps you understand a little of what he wrote in French. Usually when he compliments Lolita he speaks in French. I have found the French words that appear there to be more compliments. I suggest you do not kill yourself over the foreign language Tara.

    ReplyDelete