Friday, March 30, 2012

Breakin' the fourth wall


Before reading Skin of Our Teeth, after looking at the cover, I assumed it would be a typical suburban melodrama; I was so wrong. It definitely took me by surprise being inexplicable, random, absurd, and thought provoking at the same time. We are told as an audience not to read between the lines, and not to think too much about what it all means; however, this plot forces us to do so. The amazing element this play has, which probably keeps many audience members from walking out of the theatre, is comedic relief. I find this play, especially the beginning of Act 3, to be hilarious. One specific thing that entertains me personally is the actors’interaction with the audience.

The actors on stage, especially the one playing Sabina, repeatedly break character and speak to the audience throughout the play. They "break the fourth wall"(speaking directly to the audience or acknowledging them, including them in the situation) several times in the play. This is an excellent technique to keep the audience alert and intrigued during the performance. The way in which characters miss cues and mess up reminds me of another three act comedy that I love called Noises Off. I think it is ingenious the way in which characters come out of their character to state things such as, “I hate this play and every word in it.”  When characters come out of their comfort zone on the stage and break the boundary of the fourth wall, I think it is exciting and surprising. Lately, nothing has surprised me in the play because I never have any idea what to expect. When I predict something to happen, another thing completely different occurs.

That is probably why I enjoy this play; it is different and unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. I feel that the play would be entertaining to view live, sitting with an audience. I can only imagine the appalled and shocked reactions audience members suffered when it opened in 1942.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Peter, that the interaction with the audience makes for excellent comedic moments. However, I also think that there’s a lot more to the theater techniques Wilde uses. Existentialist themes are seen almost every time Sabina breaks the fourth wall. I think that Wilde is trying to draw a parallel between the structure of a play with the structure of life, and is using Sabina to do so. In theater, you’re rarely supposed to break the fourth wall, or miss a cue; everything is supposed to be structured and predictable. However, this play is completely different. Existentialism has to do with free will, which is seen every time the audience is involved. Sabina questions why she has to be in this play, just as existentialists ask why we do not express our own free will.
    I do agree that the audience interactions are hysterical, especially when seen live; but, there is also great metaphorical comparisons being made amidst the comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, as well. I think it's funny that this play is kind of about people thinking too much about meaning in general, when really that's what everyone ends up doing with this play. It's ironic in that way. And I also agree with James, that it is metaphorical to life. But in a different way, I think it can be compared to existentialism because in the play, there's "the play" that Sabina breaks the fourth wall of, which can be compared to plans a person has for their future that get interfered with other things.

    ReplyDelete