Thursday, March 8, 2012

Two different families, are the same


        As soon as I began reading Lear, I noticed a similarity within the two separate storylines and families in the play. The relationship between Lear and his daughters is almost identical to Glouchester’s relationship with his sons. Both father’s place their trust in the wrong offspring.

Glouchester has faith in Edmund, the son who wants to overthrow him and steal his throne; meanwhile, he distrusts his other son Edgar who is loyal to him. In comparison, Lear puts his complete power and trust in the hands of his corrupt daughters who wish to betray him, as opposed to his honest and more sincere daughter, Cordelia. In this sense, I feel both men make the mistake of favoring a child who will, in the future, betray them. They are blind to the loyalty of their other children, and it is not until Glouchester physically becomes blind, that he discovers the mistake he made in trusting Edmund, and automatically mistrusting Edgar. Glouchester's blindness, I believe, is a metaphor for both father's misconception.

I find it funny that Goneril and Regan are attracted Edmund, because they all have the same conniving plot to destroy their fathers. Ultimately, I feel the main theme in King Lear is betrayal and trust. I feel Shakespeare tells us to be wary of whom we trust.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the comparisons between the two families, and believe one can see Shakespeare's wit by making two families from different social classes having the same domestic problem. Although the Gloucesters (I'm not sure they're last name so I'll go with that.)and Lear's family are both wealthy, it does portray how domestic issues can be found in any social class. I also like your point of Goneril and Regan liking Edmund because they have the same evil plots. I did not make that connection, but I find it to be another example of Shakespeare being clever in order to be funny. The fact that both Goneril and Regan happen to fall for the only other character in the play that is also trying to murder his father just highlights the comparisons between the two families. The father's were sent out helpless, the good children (Cordelia and Edgar) were exiled and the evil children are falling in love. I wanted to thank you for poiting that out as I would not have made that connection myself.

    ReplyDelete