Monday, March 5, 2012

The Fool: Important or useless?

Looking through all the blogs I can see that the Fool is a character that many enjoy bringing up. As I was in class today I was thinking about the Fool. I was told that the Fool makes the story, and that he is necessary.
I do not see how the Fool is important or necessary to the plot. He insults people all the time and makes dirty jokes. Yes he gives Lear helpful advice, but Lear does not take it. If Lear were to take the advice the Fool gives then I could see how the Fool is essential to the plot but Lear ignores him and considers him lower than he is.
The Fool tells Lear to forgive Cordelia, that he has made a mistake. Lear recognizes that he was wrong but does nothing to get her back. The whole conversation about the subject could be taken out of the play and I do not see how the plot would change. Also, at this time Lear is called a Fool. I think the reader can figure that out themselves. Obviously Lear has made some unwise choices. I think it is up to the reader though to make that decision if Lear is a Fool or not. Personally I think him foolish and immature. Lear does not handle situation as a king should, but more as a spoiled child would. In the massive storm the Fool tells Lear that he should apologize to his daughters so that they could take shelter from the storm and be unharmed.  Lear again does not listen to the Fool.
I could understand the Fools importance if anyone actually listened to him but no one does. I see the Fool as a floating character. He does not do much other than insult others and make jokes. Maybe later in the story he will prove himself useful but as of now I do not deem him important.
I know others have commented on the Fool and said that he sees the reality of the situation; even if he does the fact still stands that no one listens to him. I understand that the Fool pointed out to Lear that his daughters used him for his land but Lear was figuring that out any way. He noticed that his daughters were not treating him the same after he gave all his possessions away. Lear did not need the Fool to see that his children were acting strange. I think the story can still go on without the Fool.   

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it is too early to tell if the fool is such a vital character in the play. Although I do believe that the Fool is a structural effect to King Lear, in the fact that he basically shows the reader or audience how radical and irrational Lear’s ideas really are. I believe the Fool understands that Lear is not going to take any of his advice; however I do not believe he is there for Lear but instead for the audience. The Fool sort of explains what King Lear is doing but at the same time being the comedic relief that is seen in many of Shakespeare’s plays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Shakespeare likes to add a character for comic relief and in King Lear that character is the Fool. Other than comic relief though I cannot see where the fool fits in. If the Fool is there for the sole purpose of comic relief I still think he is out of place. Shakespeare wrote tragedies, not comedies. When I read a tragedy I do not expect to laugh. Laughter to me is meant for comedies. Laughter in the place of death to me is considered out of place.
    I do not know if I agree that the Fool knows Lear will not take his advice. The Fool keeps telling Lear he is a fool after all the advice he gives him. My personal view of that situation is that the Fool gives Lear some helpful advice and Lear chooses to ignore it and then the Fool makes fun of Lear for being dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Fool uses his comedy to break the tension that is created during intense scenes. I do agree that laughter in the most serious circumstances does not belong with death; however in some cases if done correctly, for example South Park, deaths can be extremely funny. The comedy in those cases usually comes from the reaction of those who are witnessing the death or how the death occurs. This is where I believe the Fool comes in. He is usually just expressing his point of view , which sometimes can be annoying if it happens to often.
    But hes not only the comedic relief in this play he’s also portrayed as Lear’s sidekick . Wherever King Lear goes the Fool shall follow. The Fool is King Lear’s “Robin” who just says witty remarks whenever possible. The fool seems like he is going to witness much of what King Lear will go through , which brings up the argument that the title of the play should be “The Tragedy of King Lear and The Fool”.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You say the fool is the kings sidekick but once Cordelia comes back into the story line the fool disappears forever. The Fool cannot be a sidekick if he does not stay the sidekick throughout the whole story.
    The fact that the Fool leaves when Cordelia arrives leads me to think that Shakespeare did not want to kill the Fool. If the Fool is no longer around he cannot die. I believe Shakespeare has some connection to the fool which led to him letting him live. I am not sure if the Fool does live but from what Ive herd and gathered so far the Fool leaves all of a sudden and is never herd from again. This leads me to think that the Fool is wise enough to leave and live a full and happy life.
    And the fact that you compared Shakespeare to South Park just made me laugh but i do see where your coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe that the fool is somewhat of the King's sidekick, but is thought as more as an example of the downfall of social hierarchy by Shakespeare. I feel as if the fool acts and speaks to Lear to give him advice, although not in the most straightforward way, and this advice in turn is Lear's conscious. Through this assumption, it could be said that the fool is only imagined by Lear. The fool is acknowledged by other characters; however, which completely contradicting the idea that he could be a figment of Lear's imagination. The fool is meant to give advice to Lear, almost as Lear's better judgement, showing that he is wiser than Lear.Instead of this, I think Shakespeare is trying to convey deeper meaning through the fool. I think he wants to show that people should not be underestimated by their social title. He is trying to say that even though he is labeled as the "fool," he is wiser than any of the other characters because he does not get killed in the end since he does not appear after Act III. I feel as if the fool adds meaning to the play because without him, the play would be a bland story that ends in the death of all people. With the fool, there is comic relief and the mystery of where he went to avoid death with the others.

    ReplyDelete