Thursday, March 8, 2012

Is Edmund really the devil?


          When I was first introduced to the character Edmund in the opening scene, I immediately felt bad for him. His father disrespects him and crudely insults him, stating that he is a bastard born in a lustful manner out of wedlock. Glouchester states that he “so often blushed to acknowledge him,” meaning he was ashamed of him. He calls Edmund a knave and expresses his conception in unrefined and disrespectful terms, directly in front of Edmund. Although it is through an aside to Kent, Edmund is in the same room and, I believe, hears his father lessen his dignity.

         In Edmund’s soliloquy, I sympathize with him and pitied him. It wasn’t until I realized his mischievous plan for Edgar that I saw any evil in his intentions. I agree that he is a sinful and corrupt character, yet many human beings are evil and morally deprived. Also, he has every reason to be pissed off at the world, because he is hated by everyone, even somewhat by his father, for being a bastard son.

Do not think me to be weird for siding with this character, because I don’t, I think this character is a bastard, or should I say villain. It’s funny because he is a bastard literally too.

           Although he does have a motive for his wicked ways, that does not excuse his evil conduct. I feel that Edmund is not the devil per say, but through his devilish deeds, is a flawed and evil character who I hope dies in the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment